Monday, April 27, 2009

Ubsubstantiated Personal Gnosis


There is a fairly well-accepted phenomenon in Asatru called unsubstantiated personal gnosis. In Paxon's book she noted that "[i]f a religion is to live, new ideas are necessary. In heathen circles, [new ideas] are provided by what we call 'Unsubstantiated Personal Gnosis.'" (Paxon 146.) It basically is a new idea that perhaps one saw in a dream, perhaps the gods gave then, or perhaps they simply thought of it. It is not very scientific and is not in the lore, however for personal worship they are accepted around Asatru circles as valid for the individual. I don't know if what I had today qualifies as an UPG, but it certainly was one of my first spiritual moments since finding Asatru.

First, a word on Odin. Odin is a powerful god, and he is a god associated with words and language. (61.) He has power over the dead and many revere him for his wisdom. (62.) Odin is also known for having two Ravens, who fly around during the day and report back to Odin at night in Valhalla. (Wikipedia.) Allegedly, Odin is reverred by those who work with words and people who are scholars or students. (63.)

Today, I became frustrated. I am in the midst of finals, and I had begun to lose faith in myself. The material I must know is daunting, and I began to lose faith in myself. Frustrated and hungry, I packed up my things and I decided to walk to subway for a sandwich. On my way I noticed a large black raven. He was perched on a small parapet near my home. He was noteworthy bird: I had never seen him before and I was struck at his massive size. The bird gazed at me as I walked by, and I at him. I turned the corner and I immediately thought of Odin. I wondered if in some odd way that raven was one of his, or connected to him in some way. I felt as if Odin was letting me know that I had better work hard in order to learn the material and gather the wisdom I need in order to be successful on my exams.

It was a very spiritual moment, for I felt close to something larger than me. For perhaps the first time in my life, I felt there was something intangible surrounding me; something that I could not truly understand.

It was a glorious moment.

Paxon, Diana. Essential Asatru. New York: Citadel Press Books, 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment